An execution warrant has now been issued for Troy Davis – commencing on October 27. The exact date of his execution will be set shortly, but will likely the 27th (the warrant lasts for one week, and the date is generally set for the first day of the warrant period).
For those who didn’t receive it, please see below for the email that went out to thousands of on-line activists yesterday regarding the recent updates on the Troy Davis case. Feel free to forward to your networks. There are currently 4 actions that people can take – 3 you see in the email below, plus a Global Day of Action on October 23rd.
- Write the Georgia Board of Pardon and Paroles and ask them to reconsider their decision and grant clemency (the on-line action is still up on the website).
- Help spread the word on Troy’s case by forwarding this information to friends, family and fellow activists, as well as by text messaging TROY to 90999.
- Write a letter to the editor. A one page guide is attached, as well as linked to in the email below.
- Participate in the Global Day of Action for Troy Davis on October 23. There will be a large rally at the state capitol in Atlanta, GA on this day, and we are encouraging supporters around the world to hold rallies, vigils or actions on this day in solidarity. A one page guide is attached, and more information will be up on the website shortly. Some groups are already planning events for days other than the 23rd, and that is just fine. Whatever people can do, whenever they can do it, is greatly encouraged.
- IMPORTANT: Please be sure to keep me informed of anything being planed: firstname.lastname@example.org.
As I said, all of this information will soon be completely up to date on the website www.amnestyusa.org/troydavis.
We wanted to be sure to keep you all informed. You have all been essential to raising the profile of this case, and we cannot thank you enough for your hard work and dedication. We must keep fighting – but also know that this is not just about Troy Davis, but about ending the death penalty. Together we will make that happen.
Death Penalty Abolition Campaign
Amnesty International USA